Welcome back to another holiday season in Christmas Town. It’s June Baxter, Odette King and Prudence Parker-your Knotty Elves-here with a simple guide to holiday leftovers. Whether it’s breakfast for dinner or a non-traditional take on a traditional favorite, we’ve got you covered.
For the traditionalists, we recommend a simple Ham Frittata or Ham and Corn Chowder for Friday after Thanksgiving. The Frittata will give you the energy to set out on your Friday shopping spree. And the soup will fill your insides with warmth after an entire day spent emptying your wallet in one store after another.
We also like to add mashed potato puffs, potato rolls or potato biscuits to our weekend post-Thanksgiving dinner tables.
And for those craving more of a culinary leftover adventure, we’d like to suggest the following:
- Hand pies: pastry sheets filled with leftover turkey, ham or chicken, stuffing, cranberry sauce and vegetables. Odette prefers to add fresh herbs to her hand pies. For those who prefer to follow a recipe, click here.
- Potato Waffle Sandwich: simply add your leftover mashed potatoes (or sweet potatoes) into your waffles and build a sandwich with turkey, cranberry sauce, cheese. For a bit of crunch, Prudence advises the addition of bacon. Examples here.
- Shepard’s Pie: served in individual ramekins filled with leftover turkey, vegetables, mashed potatoes and a crispy cheddar cheese topping. Sample recipe here.
- Thanksgiving Lasagna: ham or turkey, sweet or mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing are layered with spinach, gravy and noodles. Sample recipe here.
- We’d like to add that any leftover desserts are always welcome at Over the River Retirement Home.
Whatever you decide to serve this holiday season, we wish you a dinner table surrounded by family, good friends and laughter. Until next time, remember as long as you share your food, the calories don’t count.